Apple Cinnamon Irish Soda Biscuits
3 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Caraway Seeds
½ tsp. The Spice Hunter Highland Harvested Saigon Cinnamon
¾ cup diced, dried apples
1¼ cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a standard 12-well muffin pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. Cut the butter into tablespoon sized pieces into the bowl of flour. Using your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
4. Mix in the caraway seeds, cinnamon and dried apples.
5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon to gently mix the flour into the buttermilk. Then use your hand to form the dough into a ball.
6. Quickly divide dough among wells of muffin tin by breaking off 12 equal portions of the dough.
7. Bake for 12-13 minutes until the tops are nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple minutes in the pan. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes more.
8. Serve with butter and jam.