Baked Poppy Seed & Lemon Doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Poppy Seeds, plus additional for garnish
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. The Spice Hunter Vanilla Extract
½ tsp. The Spice Hunter Lemon Extract
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 Tbsp. water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and poppy seeds together in a bowl; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, sugar, milk, sour cream, egg, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; stir until just blended. Spoon batter into a large zipped-top bag, then cut one corner off the bag. Pipe the batter into each doughnut cavity, filling each two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow doughnuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool.
1. Whisk sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon extracts together in a bowl. Add water ½ teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Dip each cooled doughnut into the glaze and place back on the wire rack.
1. Whisk white glaze ingredients together in a bowl; this glaze should be slightly thinner than the lemon glaze. Drizzle white glaze on doughnuts in a decorative pattern; garnish with additional poppy seeds, if desired.
Catch drips of glaze by placing waxed paper under cooling racks.
For more yellow color in the lemon glaze, add ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric and stir well.