Cherry Almond Biscotti
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1½ cups sugar
6 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Almond Extract
2 egg yolks
1 cup raw slivered almonds
½ cup dried cherries, chopped
1-2 Tbsp. coarse sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream sugar, butter and almond extract. Add egg and yolks one at a time, mix until blended. Add flour mixture 1 cup at a time, blend until dough starts to form a ball. Stir in almonds and dried cherries. Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 12-inch roll. Place rolls on prepared cookie sheets and flatten to about 2 inches wide. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until firm and light brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
6. Place cooled biscotti loaves on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, flip each cookie, and bake for 10 minutes more or until crisp and golden brown.
7. Cool biscotti on wire racks.