Five Spice Popcorn Chicken
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Chinese Five Spice Blend, plus more for serving
1 clove garlic, finely grated
1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into roughly 1-inch chunks
⅓ cup cornstarch
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup all-purpose flour
Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
Flaky sea salt
Scallion, thinly sliced, for serving
Sriracha mayonnaise, for serving, optional
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the sugar, Chinese Five Spice, and garlic. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes.
2. Drain any excess marinade off of the chicken and toss the chicken with the cornstarch to coat. Once fully coated, add the beaten egg and toss to coat.
3. In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°F.
4. Place the flour in a large zip top bag. Working in batches, transfer a few chicken pieces into the bag with the flour and toss to coat, then remove, leaving excess flour in the bag.
5. Carefully place the breaded chicken in the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer the cooked chicken to a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and additional Chinese Five Spice seasoning. Repeat the flouring and frying with remaining chicken.
7. Serve with scallions, more Chinese Five Spice Blend, and optional sriracha mayonnaise.