German Meatballs with Cabbage
½ cup bread crumbs
½ lb. ground beef
1 cup sauerkraut, drained and divided
1 lb. apples, divided
2 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter California Granulated Onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Mediterranean Marjoram
4 strips of bacon
1½ lbs. red cabbage, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. The Spice Hunter Caraway Seeds
1 Tbsp. sugar
1. In a medium bowl, beat the egg and then add bread crumbs, ground beef, ¼ cup of sauerkraut, ¾ cup finely chopped apple, granulated onion, salt, pepper, and marjoram. Mix well and form into 1½ inch meatballs.
2. Dice bacon and then sauté over medium heat in a Dutch oven until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook on each side until browned, but not cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes.
3. Turn the heat off, remove the meatballs from the Dutch oven and set on a plate.
4. Slice the remaining apples and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ¾ cup sauerkraut, cabbage, onion, chicken broth, red wine vinegar, caraway seeds and sugar. Pour mixture into the Dutch oven with the bacon.
5. Arrange meatballs on top of apple mixture, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked all the way through.