Gluten-Free Fig and Prosciutto Flat Bread
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 oz. cream cheese
⅔ cup almond flour
1¼ cups water
1 cup chopped dried mission figs
¼ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Pure Vanilla Extract
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Thyme
2 oz. prosciutto, chopped
½ cup fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and grease well.
2. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine 2 cups shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave until melted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the almond flour and egg until well combined.
3. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and, using wet hands, spread the dough into an oval shape as thin as the dough will allow. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, checking on the dough to see if it has puffed up. If it has, use a fork to poke holes in the dough and set aside.
1. In a small pot over medium-low heat, combine the water, figs and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens (about 15-20 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are brown and caramelized (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
3. When the fig mixture has reduced and the figs are soft, add the vanilla, lemon juice, honey and thyme and cook for 4-6 minutes longer.
4. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and use an electric hand mixer on medium speed to beat the figs until you reach a jam-like texture. It’s okay to leave some chunks of fig in the mix.
5. Spread the fig jam over the crust and top with the caramelized onions and prosciutto. Return the crust to the oven and cook for an additional 6-9 minutes.
6. Remove the crust from the oven and top with fresh basil. Cut into pieces for serving.