Indian Beef Curry with Potatoes
Indian Curry Spices:
2 The Spice Hunter Mediterranean Bay Leaves
2 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter India Ground Turmeric
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Garam Masala Blend
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Ground Cumin
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Ground Coriander
¼ tsp. The Spice Hunter Cayenne Red Pepper
Beef and Veggies:
3 lbs. beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch cubes (mine was 3.5 lbs. and after fat was trimmed it was 2.14 lbs.)
1 tsp. salt (plus an extra ½ tsp.)
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion chopped
4 large garlic cloves minced
½-inch piece of fresh ginger grated
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. brown sugar
3 cups beef stock
3 large carrots
1½ pounds potatoes
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Combine all Indian Curry Spices in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Cut chuck roast into 2-inch square pieces. Season with salt and pepper, and brown them in a Dutch oven with 2 tablespoons of olive oil (sear on two sides for 3-4 minutes). Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and saute for about 4 minutes (add a bit more olive oil if needed). Stir in all of the Indian Curry spices, and allow to cook for one more minute.
4. Add ½ teaspoon salt, lemon juice, tomato paste, brown sugar, beef stock, and carrots. Return the meat to the Dutch oven and bring to a simmer.
5. Put the lid on the pot cracked and simmer on low for 1 hour.
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
Recipe via partner Taste and See