Japanese 7 Spice Salmon Kebabs
½ cup, plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tsp. The Spice Hunter Japanese 7 Spice Global Blend, divided
2 Tbsp. peeled and sliced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. chopped scallions
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
2 lbs. salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 1½-inch cubes
¼ tsp. salt
4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved (or quartered if large)*
1 red onion, quartered*
1 bell pepper, any color*
*Substitute any of your favorite vegetables such as zucchini, yellow onion, peppers and/or button mushrooms.
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat and brush with vegetable oil. (If using wooden skewers, soak in cold water for 30 minutes before using.)
2. In a food processor, combine ½ cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the Japanese 7 Spice, ginger, scallions, rice wine vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. Pulse until combined. Pour half of the mixture into a bowl and set aside for serving.
3. Toss the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the remaining 2 teaspoons of the Japanese 7 Spice and salt. Thread the salmon, mushrooms, onion and bell pepper, alternately, onto eight 10-inch skewers.
4. Grill the kebabs for 2 minutes per side until browned and then continue cooking, turning and brushing with the remaining oil mixture, until just cooked through (about 8-10 more minutes).
5. Remove from the grill and serve with the reserved herb mixture.