Lemon Berry 4th of July Cupcakes
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Granulated Lemon Peel
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Pure Lemon Extract
½ cup whole milk
Frosting and Assembly:
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups powdered sugar
6 oz. container berries (blueberries, raspberries, or a mix of both)
Patriotic cake decorations (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, lemon peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Beat in the eggs and lemon extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternate adding the flour mixture and milk a little at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once done baking, cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
For frosting and assembly:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes).
2. Frost the cupcakes once cool and decorate with blueberries, raspberries and/or any other patriotic cake decorations you desire.