Multi-Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Mediterranean Oregano
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Smoked Paprika
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Chili Powder
The Spice Hunter Crushed Red Pepper, to taste
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup dry brown lentils
1½ cups vegetable broth
1 (28 oz.) can no salt added crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
½ tsp. liquid smoke
¼ cup brown sugar
1. Turn the multi-cooker on and press the “Sauté” function. Add the olive oil.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes, until slightly softened.
3. Add the green bell pepper and continue to stir for another minute.
4. Add the oregano, paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and mix until the vegetables are coated. Press “Cancel” button to turn off sauté mode.
5. Add the lentils, the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce and stir to combine.
6. Lock lid in place making sure the valve is in the closed position. Set to cook for 17 minutes at high pressure.
7. Allow the pressure to naturally release. Once cooking is complete, this should take approximately 20 minutes.
8. When the float valve has dropped back down, slowly unlock and remove the lid. Stir in the liquid smoke and brown sugar.
9. Serve on rolls of your choice. Dress with sliced red onion, sliced tomatoes and/or shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.