Spicy Stuffed Poblano Peppers
1 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked corn
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
1 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Mexican Seasoning
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Chili Powder Blend
½ tsp. The Spice Hunter Granulated Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
4 poblano peppers
1-2 cups grated Pepper Jack cheese
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions start to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl combine onion, quinoa, corn, beans, chiles, Mexican seasoning, chili powder, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Cut the poblano peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs and seeds. Fill each half evenly with the quinoa mixture and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the peppers are softened and the cheese is melted.
5. Garnish with cilantro, serve.
Peppers often have an irregular shape, which makes it difficult to balance them on a baking sheet. Solve this problem by making a “boat” out of aluminum foil to provide support so the pepper stays level.