Split Pea Soup
2 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 pounds smoked ham shanks
1 The Spice Hunter Whole Mediterranean Bay Leaf
1 lb. green split peas, rinsed and all debris removed
6 cups chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ tsp. The Spice Hunter Fine Ground Black Pepper
1. Over medium-high heat melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven.
2. Add onion, celery and carrots. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add ham shanks and bay leaf, cook and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add split peas and broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and partially cover pot. Simmer soup for about 20 minutes, add diced potatoes and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more.
5. Transfer shanks to a bowl and remove meat from the bones. Chop the meat into bite-sized pieces, set aside.
6. Remove bay leaf from soup, then puree soup with an immersion blender to desired consistency. Add meat back to soup pot and stir to combine. If soup is too thick, add water ½ cup at a time until desired thickness is reached.
7. Season with pepper and salt, serve.